Monday, August 25, 2008

Baby Incubator....

Hello blog world! Well it is official.... dh and I will be welcoming a baby or babies by May of 2009!!!! Our first IVF attempt had worked and I feel great being able to say it!!! I'M PREGNANT!!! 

I had my first pregnancy test Friday, I tested at home using a home pregnancy test (HPT) Friday morning even though I was not supposed too. But i had to make sure it would be positive...i had to emotionally prepare myself for any outcome. So when I checked the HPT and saw the 2nd line confirming a positive..... i was so happy and breathed a sigh of relief! The 2nd line was a little faint, but it was obvious and could be seen clearly even if it was a little light.  HPT  detects the hcg level. Now i was still a bit nervous to hear what the HcG level would be. The hcg level is the pregnancy hormone that is tested for, and I have never gotten a good assuring 1st hcg level.  So when Dr. called that afternoon with good news.... i knew it had to be higher than I have ever gotten before. And it was! It came in at 91.5...my highest ever has been a 21.  Now I had to wait until Monday (today) to retest to make sure the hcg levels were increasing as they should. Hcg level is supposed to double every 24-48 hours or so. How they double give the Dr. a good idea if there should be concerned with the viability of the pregnancy.  Now, one must keep in mind that even some of the slowest doubling times for hcg levels have resulted in normal healthy pregnancies!

So I spent the weekend happy and in somewhat of a daze that my pregnancy test was as high as it was! It was reassuring, despite experiencing some cramping over the weekend, that I was feeling more and more nausea and feeling some other unpleasant pregnancy related symptoms! So I got up this morning looking forward to my blood test to see where my hcg level was now. I tested again at home using a HPT first thing this morning, and I was sooooo happy to see the 2nd line be darker than it was on Friday. It was now as dark as it the test line!!!! While some may argue that it doesn't matter how dark or light it may be, a line is a line and if it's positive that is all that matters! But let me tell you, for me it was such a big deal.  My hcg levels have a history of not going up as they need too, so I saw today HPT as a sign that it was! And I was right!!! Today's hcg level was 378!!! So I am definitely breathing a huge sigh of relief and living in the moment and not thinking of all the things that can still go wrong!!!!

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of enjoying the bliss of ignorance, having struggled for soo many years trying to conceive, I know of many things that can go wrong.... but I refuse to cheat myself from enjoying and relishing in the fact that I'm PREGNANT!!! I'm a baby or babies' Incubator!!!! I will know if both embryos we transfered are sticking around or if only one of them decided to take up residence in my uterus on September 8th... 2 LONG WEEKS away!! LOL But I will enjoy being pregnant!!!!

2 comments:

Polly Gamwich said...

You've disappeared from my friend list on FF ... is everything ok?

Erika said...

All is well Polly! Thanks for the concern.. i have to renew my subscription that is all!!! I haven't been able to log in to do that today.... How are you doing??