Friday, August 1, 2008

Unfair.......

TGIF???? Usually I enjoy Fridays because it is Friday.. the end of a work week and you have 2 days to enjoy and do as you please! Today has been an unusual "bad" Friday!!! It sucks big time when your past comes back to bite you in the ass!!! I found out that I can not apply for a new health insurance coverage until probably 2011!! Why 2011, because in February 2011 will mark 5 years of being Cancer Free.  Most insurance companies are not willing to take you on as  a risk unless it has been at least 5 years since your diagnosis and treatment.

If you pay for your medical insurance, you know that health care is extremely expensive! We have had to pay for our own medical health coverage since 2004.  We have been satisfied with our care, but not too happy with the ever increasing premiums year after year. Well this year, my husband's company offered health plans at discounted premium rates. So my husband and i decided that we needed to find a more affordable plan.  So we found one and applied. In the meantime, my husband canceled our existing coverage before finding out if we would be approved.  Well, HE was approved and I wasn't!

What is frustrating is being reminded again that I had to deal with Cancer in the first place. Wasn't it enough that I had to face the possibility of giving up my dream of having my own children, that I almost lost my entire uterus and would have be pushed into menopause before i was even 30??? Why can't the fact that I faced cancer, stared at it the face and beat in with in 6 months of diagnosis be awarded?? I mean I understand why they wouldn't want to take the risk, but it doesn't make me feel any better.  I had to just laugh at the irony of being denied also for the medication I'm on for the "pre-existing" condition. I'm on Metformin to help with PCOS, the culprit for me getting cancer in the first place, therefore continue to stay on it to help prevent.

I've explored options, the state of California does have a program to help insure those who are denied covered due to pre-existing conditions.  That is great, I can get coverage through the major Health Insurance companies in the state, the only catch is that there is a waiting list, that could be a 4 month wait.  It is funded by the state and well if you live in California, then you know we don't have enough to fund programs like this one.  

We have 30 days from termination date to get re-instated with our previous health plan, which was July 1st.... July had 31 days. Hmmmmm wonder if they will take us back??? I can re-apply for individual coverage, but could also be denied because of the 'pre-existing' condition. Never mind the fact that i was under the same exact insurance company when diagnosed and successfully treated for cancer!! Hope the weekend goes better.....

No comments: