Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Feeling like a Pincushion...

I'm sure it could be a lot worse!! I started my injections on the 17th w/ Lupron and I added Follistim injections to the mix on Saturday, the 26th.  Follistim is the medication to stimulate my ovaries(aka FSH)! Lupron injections are in my thigh and the FSH injections i'm administrating in my belly area.  Not fun!!! I don't like needles at all!!! My hubby pretty much did ALL injections during the IUI treatments.  Those FSH injections were in my upper arms.  Now, I am giving my own injections, for some reason my hubby really didn't want to do them.... 

Now, I don't necessarily look at myself as I do injections. I typically just zero in on the area the injection is to go into, and then as I position the needle, I close my eyes tight!!! LOL I don't have too many bruises and the lupron injection don't always hurt. Occasionally I will hit a little vein as I remove the needle from my thigh, it bleeds. So far it is only on my right thigh....weird.  Luckily for me, i haven't felt that many side effect some women get from lupron injections. One major side effect I was praying not to get was the headaches! Luckily i haven't suffered from those awful headaches i have heard other women suffering from! I get mild headaches here and there, but nothing really painful!! Thank you God!!! another side effect also is hot flashes. Now while i was on medication for treatment for cancer, i suffered from serious hot flashes!!!! And they were HOT!!! i do have some mild hot flashes but nothing as unbearable as they were while i was on the other medication.  I just find myself waking up at 4-5 am feeling hot, while my hubby is wrapped up tight in our comforter! But other than that, that is it so I'm not complaining!

FSH injections, i've been on before and don't usually have any side effects from them.  I can see little prick marks where I've injected myself in my tummy.  It helps, so that way i'm sure not to inject the same spot twice.  It isn't too painful while injecting myself, it is after I withdraw the needle.  I am left with a painful burning feeling.  It usually continues to hurt until after I go to bed, and usually anything that rubs against the area irritates it so I have to roll down my pj bottoms and fall asleep on my side or back....which is horrible because i love to sleep on my tummy!!! Oh well, just prepares me for pregnancy!! 

These injections are a walk in the park compared the injections of progesterone in oil (PIO) i will have to do.  Now these, my hubby has no choice in injecting my.  He has to do them for me, as they go in my backside.... tooshy/hip area.  I've seen the needles that I will be using.... I'm not looking forward to them at all!!!! I've been warned...they are painful! Hopefully I won't have to stay on them until week 12 of pregnancy...hopefully my body will do what it needs to do and produce enough to sustain my pregnancy!!!

I had my first ultra sound this morning to check progress. After 4 nights of FSH injections, I have potential of 16 follicles in my ovaries. 7 in my left and 9 in my right ovary. I also have a bunch of little ones that couldn't be measured today, but some of them will grow enough to be measured at next ultra sound! so It's exciting because I'm on my way.  Now, as I continue FSH injections, we wait to see how quickly these follicles will grow! I don't have another ultra sound scheduled yet, but will be in 2-3 days i'm sure! All the injections and the pricking will be worth it in the end, but in the meantime, it's hard not to feel like such a pincushion!!!

No comments: