Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Cheekies!!

Cheekies has arrived!! Cheekies is my nickname for my niece, Alyssa! She made her entrance in this world on July 17th at 4:36pm via C-section.  She weighed 6lbs and 14 oz. and 19 inches long.  She has a head full of dark hair that looks like it will be curly.... my sister always wished her hair was curly, and now maybe her daughter will have it.  She is just so beautiful I wanna cry every time I think of her.. I just love her to pieces!!! My sister and baby are both home now and settling into a routine.  The rest of her brothers and sisters should be making their way home today and then they can all meet. It should be a special occasion.  Hopefully when I stop by after work before my appointment, I can witness the siblings meeting their new baby sister....that is going to be such a special moment. But then again, maybe it would be best that it just be them... 

so let me tell you a bit about her birth....

My sister's fiance called me just before 7 am on the 17th letting me know that my sister's water had broken. I imagined my sister freaking out because I knew that it had not even been a week since her last day of work and she didn't have things ready for baby's arrival. I asked to speak to her, took me a bit to convince her fiance to let me talk to her, and she was doing well. She was just packing her hospital bag.  I hurried and got ready and headed into work. I did call my dad before he started work and before he would loose cell phone connection, and let him know his first grandchild was on her way. I also made arrangements to pick up my mom later that morning.  My mom is so cute, as I told her i would pick her up around 10 am to go to the hospital, she worried that we would miss the birth! You see, my mom had c-sections for both my sister and I, and they were planned. She didn't experience the water breaking or any of that. so i went into work for a bit to mail out some client information that needed to go out that day. I picked up my mom and by 11 am we were at the hospital with my sister.

Let me tell you that my mom was nervous and I was a little bit. I was really more anxious. I could not wait until the baby to be born.  I was more nervous because I had my IVF class the same afternoon at 3pm at my RE's clinic. I was so afraid my sister would have the baby while I was in the 2 hour class. But then I thought God was answering my prayers when the midwife came in around 11:30am and discovered the baby was breeched.  The baby was now head up and not head down as we all thought she was. My sister had a Dr.'s appointment the week before and the dr. said the baby was head down.  Now, who knows if the Dr. made a mistake a week earlier or the baby flipped around in the week.  Who really knows, point was that my sister would need to have surgery.  So the midwife and the dr. said it would not happen until until 6pm. I thought great I would be here by then and I wouldn't miss anything. So I leave my sister around 2:15pm execting to be back before they wheeled her into the Operating Room. 

As I sit through the IVF class and listen for the first hour to the same information I all ready knew, and could only think of my sister in labor and that my niece would be born by that afternoon. So after the first hour and half of repeating information, we break for a few minutes before we were to go over the injections and how to administer them.  At this time i also read the text message my sister sent before 4pm saying that her c-section was moved up and that it would be before 6pm, but not sure of the time yet.  So of course i had to work really hard to stay focused.  Luckily, I all ready knew how to do the stimulation injections. Now the progesteron injections..... wow! I'm glad my husband will be doing those, but I'm not looking forward to them.  We get out just after 5pm and I immediately call my mom to check on my sister. Well wouldn't you know, my mom tells me that baby was born a short while ago. I was crushed!!! I so badly wanted to be there to see my niece soon after birth and to be there with my sister as soon as they wheeled her into recovery. I was so sad that I wasn't there. My mom knew how badly I wanted to be there.  Oh well, what I could I do at that point.  I thanked God that my niece was safely in this world and my sister was recovering from Surgery!

As I drove from the RE's clinic to the hospital, in bumper to bumper traffic, I started to feel angry that my Fertility Challenge once again got in the way of something important in my life. I was angry that because I HAD to do IVF to get pregnant, I lost an important event! So I wallowed in my anger and pity for about 10 minutes,then I told myself that I just needed to be happy for the blessings that God had just given us. Once I focused on that, I was only upset at the amount of traffic i was in!!! When I finally made it my dad was waiting for me in the main entrance to the hospital and as soon as I walked in, he engulfed me in a huge hug! He was so happy to be a grandpa, and I was so happy to be an auntie (or titi as my niece will be calling me) and all the emotions I had fought back on my drive to the hospital came spilling out. I cried in my daddy's arms how I was supposed to be there and I wasn't. He just held me and said it was okay, the important thing was that I was there now and the baby was here safe and my sister was safe. How can one argue with that??

I took the elevator up the recovery room where my sister was. My dad didn't come up because only 1 person at a time was allowed in there. My mom met me at the elevator on the recovery floor and took me to my sister.  She was there holding my niece looking like the happiest mom in the world. Tears immediately clouded my vision and I blinked them away and busied myself in washing my hands.  I kissed my sister and congratulated on her on a beautiful baby. When I took my first good look at my Cheekies, everything else just didn't matter!! All that mattered in the universe at the moment was Alyssa!!! She is just the cutest. So my sister gave her to me to hold for the first time, and when I picked her up and hugged her to me, the tears i had no idea i was holding back, just came down running down my cheeks. I could not stop staring at her or giving her kisses on her big ol' cheeks!! I apologized to her for not being there, apologized to my sister for not being there for her either. What my sister said next let me know that all would be okay. She said for her and for Alyssa, "it is okay Titi, you had to go.  You had to go so you can give me some cousins soon" I had to laugh at the concept...which is so very true!!

I held her a while longer until the nurse asked to check her out again. My parents and I left to go eat dinner and by the time we came back my sister was moved into her room.  We all just took turns holding my Cheekies and she was asleep the whole time. I couldn't tell who was happier the new parents or new grandparents.  I was so happy that our family had come a long way and full circle.  A few years ago, i wasn't sure this would or could happen, that we would be together as a family sharing in the most beautiful moments in the world..... Welcoming a new blessed child into our family!

I will have learn how to post pictures on here because my Cheekies is too cute not to show her off.  I just feel so full of love for this little angel, and I can't wait to watch her grow!! I love all my nieces, nephews, and godchildren and I love them all the same! To add a new baby to my group of 'kids' is so wonderful.  The only way this is different is that my sister will be calling on me more often than any of my cousins and best friend ever did to babysit!!! LOL AND I will have to arm wrestle with my dad to see who gets to babysit anytime my sister needs it!!!! It is so much fun to watch my dad and his granddaughter. Before we knew what my sister was having, he asked for a granddaughter! He got his wish, and 3 days before his birthday too!! We celebrated my dad's b-day with pizza and cake in my sister's hospital room and he couldn't have asked for a better birthday party!! We all couldn't have asked for a better or more special celebration!!

Stay tuned as I update on my current IVF cycle.... 5 days of Lupron injections and faring well!

No comments: