Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Smooth sailing into choppy waters.....

I turned 8 weeks pregnant this past Friday and so far all was going so well.  I have had only mild morning sickness until then, with just a few moments here and there that I would feel like I would loose whatever meal i had eaten, but fortunately haven't thrown up anything...yet.  I also had my first pre-natal appointment with my OBs office and I was excited. I was hoping for another ultra-sound to see how the baby was doing. But no such luck. Unfortunately my OB's office doesn't have ultra-sound machines in their office, instead they send their patients to the main hospital.  I am also fortunate that the NP who did my exam understood how nervous we are.  It has been a long journey for us and she was understanding. She gave me a slip to get an ultra-sound done and also added that anytime I wanted an ultra-sound, i just have to call her up and she would write up a request for me.  

All went well and i went home to relax for the evening. My hubby and I got comfortable with a DVD and a pizza.  Shortly after 8pm,  i felt a weird trickle... i went to the restroom and discovered i was beginning to bleed. Now I didn't panick right away, i figured the NP agitated my cervix and it was just some mild spotting.  I put on a panty liner and went back to sit on the couch and enjoy the movie. After about 15 minutes something was not right. I swore it felt like i was bleeding for the last 10 or so minutes. I went to check the panty liner and it was full!! Dh checked on, as i must have yelled out something and was staring at it in disbelief.  I changed panty liners and sat back down. I still felt no change and knew it had not stopped flowing. I call OBs office and spoke to her answering service.  They paged the Dr. and she called me back.

OB actually sounded like she had been asleep, but oh well, i was bleeding!!! She told me that it happens to women in the first trimester. She instructed me to stay in bed or on the couch all weekend... i was to be truly a queen all weekend. If it were to get worse then i should call or go straight to the ER.  Well i wasn't hysterical because the bleeding seemed to have slowed and i had no major cramping.  I went to bed praying my little baby would be okay.  Even when I passed a small blood cot, i didn't panic.... i was uneasy but pretty much holding it together.  DH was calm too so that helped a lot.  All weekend i didn't do anything. My parents, along with my sister and niece, came to visit Sunday.  I got to spoil my niece and my mom cleaned my kitchen.  And my dad bought me pizza... my #1 craving right now.  

I met with the OB yesterday (monday) morning and she did another quick pelvic check and all seemed fine. She moved up my ultra-sound from Thursday to yesterday.  I rush to work to get some stuff in the mail that HAD to get in the mail, and drove back for my ultra-sound.  Ultra-sound went well i got to see my little peanut and saw that they were no harmed in any way.  I measured right on target for EDD of May 1st, 2009.... it was 8 weeks 3 days! The ultra-sound did not show any reason for my bleeding so OB wants me to take it easy and no exercising, no long walks, and unfortunately, no funny business with the hubby, for now at least.... Poor hubby it has been 9 long weeks of a 'drought'.  I am to go back to see OB in 2 weeks.  She didn't like that no cause was found....

So i'm counting down the weeks until the 2nd trimester.... i have to believe that it will be uneventful until then and beyond that too!! What really helped get through the weekend was a whole lot of prayers!! I prayed and prayed, but not only for myself and my situation.... I prayed for all my loved ones and for those that I dont even know.  It was very soothing and what helped me remain as calm as could be.  I also watched a wonderful movie in our DVD collection called "Facing the Giants".  It is a christian movie that is fabulous.  Now i'm catholic and i really believe that no matter what your religion is, this movie is simply about having FAITH.  Faith in knowing that nothing is 'impossible with God on your side'.  It really just reaffirmed my belief that all would be okay because i had God on my side.  Even if you are having issues at the moment in believing that, this movie is wonderful in helping you remember.  I always cry every time i watch it..... 

Well i'm approaching 9 weeks and morning sickness seems to be kicking up a bit this week after taking a small break last week... it hasn't been too much fun in the afternoon these last few days....but hey, it is reassurance that all is well with my babe!! till next update!!!

2 comments:

Polly Gamwich said...

So glad everything is alright! Wheew! And so glad your NP is willing to write you a slip whenever you need it.

I'm continuing to pray for you ... and everytime I drive by the building where we met (the Alumni Center at Stanford) I think of you and pray for you.

Many hugs ... and I love being on this journey with you!!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to tell you that I said a prayer for you and your little bean today! I was almost exactly in your shoes a year ago...I had some very heavy spotting...my doc finally changed my progesterone pills and all went smoothly with my pregnancy. My baby born was born on April 28th and is PERFECT!

I know it is hard to not be nervous...try to enjoy the journey! It's taken far too long to get here!